Monday, February 4, 2013

New Discoveries

     While living in Madrid (even though it has been a short time) I have discovered quite a few things about myself:

  • I thought I didn't like rice, but now I do and it's delicious with this "tomate frito" stuff that we put on it. I'm not really sure what it is exactly, but I think it's cooked tomato with garlic and onion...possibly 
  • I like putting nesquik in coffee. It is delicious...just delicious....did I mention delicious? 
  • I like flan....like a mini flan every single night kind of love affair.  It is fun, squishy, tasty, and comes in individual packets.
  • I can stay up until 6 am and function the next day on little sleep.  Alright, I only did this once and then took a nap that night and then went to bed early, but I can do it and I'm proud of myself.  I can cross it off my life list, although I still haven't pulled an all-nighter...but I can live without that. 
  • Living in Europe doesn't have to be the cliche experience that many people think it is for American students.  I confound my host mother Esther when I stay in one night on the weekend, or that I go to bed before 11 p.m. 
  • People are much nicer here than in Paris...sorry Parisians, but people here smile at you, they help you if you're lost on the streets, and I've noticed that people will stop and talk to homeless on the streets
  • siestas have become a thing of the past (at least in metropolitan cities like Madrid), people here are in an economic crisis much MUCH worse than America with over 20% unemployment, so there is no time to spend napping when there are bills to pay
  • I discovered that I can take the bus, I only did once in Paris and I was with a class so I didn't have to think about direction at all, but now I take the bus to class and I love love love it!
  • cell phones are not essential. I've known this, and can proudly say that even in America it is not my third hand...but now it really serves me no purpose except for emergency use so it's "hands free"
Well amigos, I have some tarea...that's Spanish for homework...to do and then it is off to bed!

Hasta Luego,

Kayley

No comments:

Post a Comment